In India you are considered a Hero, the moment you clear civil services or IIT. And if you top the exam, you are a demi God. There is just too much fixation for rankings in India. We forget that more than the ranking two things define a good civil servant:
- His integrity
- His performance
Shah Faesal’s have had an abhorrent and supercilious behavior for a long time. Few months ago I wrote an answer and predicted, he will resign soon after completing his course.
When the Govt was trying to counter the Burhan Wani propaganda instead of being proud of being projected as a model youth he said the following words:
“Personal vulnerability apart, the very fact of becoming a part of a ridiculous debate is something which has disturbed me very much. Have I joined IAS to do a job or to become a part of your sadistic propaganda machine?”In fact when I qualified this exam I never thought of spending my whole life scratching the desk and if this nonsense around me continues, I might prefer to resign sooner than later,”
Not only his language is pathetic but you can feel he has more than sympathy for the slain terrorist. And he was just looking for reasons to resign.
He followed it up by using an isolated incident to insinuate whole of India as “Rapistan”. Let me tell you that Pakistan army & establishment is also trying to label India with the exactly same label in an attempt to defile India’s global image.
All this while he has been doing all sort of gimmicks like a typical politician to grab media attention. For example this story of his where he claims a colleague’s husband had sent a resignation letter and without due diligence it was accepted. The story sounds fishy. Even if it is true, it’s an awful attempt to hide mistake of his department and project as if a lot of husbands are doing so. Faesal seem to have this problem of generalizing exception as norm as was the case in his “Rapistan” barb on people of India.
If you see the language he has used on the social media, it’s yet again similar to the language used in Pakistani channels and Pakistan army stooges that Hindus have reduced Muslims to second class citizens.
Now here are few questions:
- Why did he resign only after completion of his course (and not during it) on Indian Taxpayer’s money in an elite institution?
- Second question is, if he feels that Muslims in India are subjugated than how does joining the politics would change it. Because at the end of the day, he would be following the same constitution that he was following during his service stint.
- Third question is, what has his master Omar Abdullah (under whose patronage he was writing incendiary stuff on social media) done for Muslims? If he has failed to do anything, what he would do differently as his minion that will change the condition of 200 million Muslim ?
- Fourthly, if he feels civil cervices was bad than why in the same facebook post he said “one of my task here after will be train and guide aspiring civil servants to help him achieving this dream”. Do you think people of India are some kind of fool?
- Fifth why his language and terminologies on social media have eerie similarity with those in Pakistan media and radicals in Pakistan army? I wonder if he condemns the likes of Hafiz saeed, Afzal guru, Burhan wani, Zakir Musa.
Clearly this guy thinks he is smart and rest are fool. His behavior especially his resignation post on social media shows lot of contradictions, and lack of integrity. If he doesn’t condemn Burhan wani and terrorist outfits like LeT, Hizbul as a terrorist, if he refuse to condemn terror camps & human right violations in Pakistan, one may feel he is directly or indirectly, knowingly or unknowingly acting as a wahabi stooge of Pakistan. Challenge him to condemn Burhan wani, Hafiz Saeed amd Afzal guru as terrorist, I am afraid he will back out.
It’s also a wake up call for the selection bench to have tougher mechanism to filter out radicalized and hateful people like Shah Faesal in elite services. The people from disturbed regions must be given home posting only after they have spent considerable time in any other other part of India. Also it’s a wake up call for others that topping the civil services don’t make you a good civil servant. Performing your duties with integrity is what makes you a good civil servant. For me a sweeper or a peon performing his duties honorably is far better than a person like Shah Faesal.
-  Action against IAS topper Shah Faesal for ‘rapistan’ tweet triggers controversy
-  Kashmiri IAS officer’s post about his female colleague’s ‘resignation letter’ goes viral
The Article was first published on Quora and has been republished on The South Asian Express with Author’s permission